Saturday, April 9, 2011

Half Organic

Dear Friends,

Confession time.
I am one of those people that thinks that eating organic is a great idea! 

I've gotten to a point where I want the things that go into my body and are around my body to have the least amount of chemicals and such on them and in them as they were grown or made.  Did you catch all that?

Another great thing to know is that regular foods, because of all of their processing and preservatives, can slow down your metabolism.  That's right!  Organic food makes you skinnier :)

Side note:  Did you know that organic items usually last longer too?  Like today is April 9th.... my organic milk doesn't go bad until MAY 23rd!!!

It's all great in theory, but I am moving pretty slowly in this process.  Let me tell you why.

This is partly due to the fact that organic food can be hard to find sometimes.... and partly because I love to go out to eat, have a stash of Snickers minis in the house at all times, and do not like to go grocery shopping!

Here are the things I have been able to find as organic or natural:

Milk (seems to be the most popular first move in going organic)
Spaghetti noodles & sauce
Meat & Poultry
Lots of fruits (my husband has declared he only likes organic grapes now)
Lots of veggies
Salad
Deodorant (best I've ever used)
Dishwashing detergent
Laundry detergent
House cleaning supplies

Some of these things can be found at my local Walmart or Kroger(they have the widest selection I can find at a grocery store for organic foods), but for some I have to go to our local nutrition store.  You better believe there is no Whole Foods in this town!  When it gets warmer there will be farmer's markets open that will have awesome organic items.  This is my favorite way to shop organic!

While this makes it sound like I am moving right along in all things organic, there are still a lot of things I don't get about it.  I don't know if they even make organic bread... I haven't seen it.  I absolutely love cereal and I don't think I should have to give up Frosted Flakes, Lucky Charms, and Fruity Pebbles for tasteless organic cereal. (I use organic milk with it... Isn't that enough?)  Why can't  they make organic Spaghetti-O's?

It's questions like this that keep me at my half-organic status.

I'll probably be here for a while.


Love,
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment