Wednesday, November 23, 2011

A List

What I've been up to since August:

1.  Teaching 21 Kindergarteners 5 days a week for almost 16 weeks.
     As you may or may not know I was hired four days before school started in Auguest.  As panicked as I was, I was even more over-joyed that the job search was over and all of the self-doubt and sweating could stop.  AND even more than that, I was pumped to finally have a job doing what I love to do with a group of people I really wanted to work with!

2. Staying at school until 5 or 6PM almost every week night.
    It's just part of the job.... especially at the beginning.  Yes, it's kindergarten, and I'm not studying the content that I will be teaching (b/c I know my letters and numbers;) or grading papers.  BUT I am still working on organizing my room just how I want it... and mostly trying to meet my students' needs.  Kindergarteners change a lot in a course of a couple of weeks and I'm always trying to see where they are academically so that I can push them a little farther.  It's been really fun watching them grow :)

3.  Celebrating friends' marriages.
     Seems like we are just at that age.  Everyone we know is getting married.  We've been to so many bachelor/bachelorette parties, wedding/bridal showers, rehearsal dinners, wedding ceremonies, and wedding receptions I think we could do it all blindfolded and spun around a bat 10 times without a hitch (no pun intended).

4.  Traveling... duh.
     We are just always on the go as a couple.  Since August we have been to Atlanta twice, Florida once (for fall break), Lexington 3 times, Nashville twice, Louisville 2 times.  AND all of that, with the exception of Florida, had to have happened on the weekends since we are both working.  So I'll let you do the math on how many weekends we've spent at home doing nothing between trips and weddings :)

5. Cakes
    It goes without saying I'm still doing cakes.  I love to do wedding cakes/cupcakes for friends... so you see where that fits into this story.  Not to mention other cakes I had booked for August and September, not knowing if I would have a teaching job or not.  I've cut back since then because of my work schedule, but I'm still doing it when I can!

Hope this catched me up on blogging... now that I've settled into my new job I think I might come back to this :)

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I'm glad you're blogging again. I know that the first year teaching comes with a full plate, but I also know how fun it is. I'm glad you are enjoying it. You make a great Kindy teacher!!
    I just got the blogging bug back myself. Soooo, let the postings begin!

    ReplyDelete